Come and View and Learn About
Some of the Apples from the
Cornell Breeding Program
Being Evaluated in Regional Orchards.
Guest: Kevin Maloney of Cornell*
Two Sessions on: Wed. August 18, 2010
1-3:00 PM @ Forrence and Northern Orchards, Peru, NY
6:30 - 8:00 PM @ Bowman's Orchard, Rexford, NY.

Yes, the harvest of early varieties has, or likely will be beginning, by August 18, but when is the best time to view some of the contenders in the Cornell Apple Breeding Program? When there is fruit to see!

Steal an hour or so away with Kevin Maloney, who works with Cornell Apple Breeder Dr. Susan Brown on the reviews and field evaluations of the myriad crosses undertaken by the Breeding Program. The point is reached when promising crosses are established in cooperating orchards around the state so that the new apples might be evaluated over a diversity of conditions and locations. Kevin Maloney will introduce us to some of these apples at our sessions on August 18, including NY1 and NY2.

The Plan:

At Peru at 1:00 PM, we will meet in the parking lot of the Forrence Packing House on Route 22. We will then carpool to tree locations. (Directions: Forrence: Northway exit 35 - Bear Swamp Rd. Go east on Bear Swamp to Peru. Left at Rt 22, continue approximately 3/4 mi. The Packing House is on the left.)

At Rexford at 6:30 PM, we will meet in the retail parking area of Bowman's.
(Directions: Bowman's: From the Northway, take Clifton Park Exit 8A (Grooms Rd.). Follow Grooms Rd. westbound into Grooms Corners. At Grooms Corners take a left on Sugar Hill Rd. Proceed about two miles to Bowman's Orchard on the left side.)

Questions? Please contact Nancy Kiuber at 518-885-8995 or email n...@cornell.edu
--
Kevin Iungerman, Extension Associate
Cornell University Cooperative Extension's Northeast NY Commercial Fruit Program

Providing Equal Opportunity Commercial Tree Fruit and Grape Research, Education and Programming with the Support of the Farmers and Cornell Cooperative Extension Associations of Albany, Clinton, Essex, Saratoga, and Washington Counties, and Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Science.

Serving NY's Upper Hudson and Champlain Region - Home to Premium Cold Hardy Orchard and Vineyard Fruit, Including: McIntosh, Honeycrisp, and Sweetango Apples, and Marquette and LaCrescent Grapes!

"Suggestions? Comments? Ideas? Possibilities begin with people sharing ideas and working together."