Dear apple-croppers...
Last year at this time of the year, we had a fun thread on a mystery apple.
This year, I would propose one on a mystery disease... Hopefully it will
trigger just as much interesting discussion!

I have taken pictures showing the symptoms/damage. Please look here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cjoliprsf/AppleDisease2010

Let me give you a little information on this:
- Pictures were taken on August 14 2010
- The size of the apples on the picture is about 1 inch across
- The apples didn't grow any bigger during fall
- All the apples show the same symptoms
- There is only one tree affected in the orchard (a small 1 acre orchard)
- Affected variety: Wealthy (there are other Wealthy trees around that are
normal)
- This appeared about 5 years ago and reappears every year on this
particular tree
- The affected apples ripen later than normal - actually, they don't really
ripen, but they stay attached on the tree until snow.
- The foliage is otherwise healthy and the tree normally vigorous
- Other trees about 20 feet away do not show any similar symptoms

Thanks for looking at this.

Claude Jolicoeur
Orchardist and cider maker
Zone 4, Quebec