I will also weigh in here, being a long-time proponent of delayed-dormant oil
sprays against orchard pests.  This is from my March 28 article in Scaffolds:

  The following advice developed from Paul Chapman's original research is
essentially unchanged from what I print every spring, which shows the
durability of not only the information, but also of a crop protectant that's
still as good as it used to be:

  A delayed-dormant spray of petroleum oil in apples from green tip through
tight cluster can be a favored approach for early season mite control, both to
conserve the efficacy of and to help slow the development of resistance to our
contact miticides.  Our standard advice has been to try for control of
overwintered eggs using 2 gal/100 at the green tip through half-inch green
stage, or 1 gal/100 at tight cluster; this assumes ideal spraying conditions
and thorough coverage. Naturally, this is not always achieved in real life,
mainly because of weather and coverage challenges, coupled with the difficulty
of getting to a number of blocks during a fairly brief window.  It is possible
for mites to start hatching when the trees are at solid tight cluster, so the
suffocating mode of action tends to be compromised if the nymphs are able to
pick their way through the droplets or dodge them entirely.  Let practicality
determine how best to use the following guidelines.

  First, to be sure that mites are in the egg stage, start on your blocks as
soon as the weather and ground conditions permit, even if this means using a
higher rate.  Depending on how heavy the snowfalls have been in certain areas,
local conditions will be the prime determinant of how easily you can get
through the rows early on.  Also, tend toward the high end of the dosage range,
especially if there's been no frost during the 48-hour period before your
intended spray, and no danger of one for 24–48 hours afterwards.  For example,
use 1.5 gal/100 if the buds linger somewhere between half-inch green and full
tight cluster during your chosen spray period.

  Obviously, good coverage of the trees is critical if you're to take advantage
of oil's potential efficacy; this in turn requires adequate spray volume
delivered at an appropriate speed.  Experience and research have shown that a
1X concentration (300 gal/A) in large trees is clearly preferable; however, if
all other conditions are optimal (weather, speed, calibration), then 3X, or 100
gal/A, is the highest concentration that should be expected to give acceptable
control at any given time.  Growers like to concentrate more than this to save
time and the hauling of extra water, but reducing coverage too much can
compromise your efforts if you end up covering only a small fraction of the egg
population with the residue.

  Don't limit this mite control tactic just to apples and pears.  Talks with
stone fruit growers have reminded us that many cherry, peach and plum plantings
can suffer equally serious European red mite infestations that weren't given
the early season attention they might have needed.  We don't have hard and fast
threshold guidelines for these crops, but stone fruit plantings with a history
of past ERM problems should be examined for presence of the red overwintered
eggs, and if they're numerous enough to see without a hand lens, then a
prebloom application of 2% oil would be a prudent tactic to help ward off this
damage, particularly if your fungicide program at this time doesn't present any
compatibility problems.

  Finally, we have heard of some growers who have recently expressed unfounded
concern that oil has a negative impact on the health of their trees.  To this I
can only re-assert that petroleum oil has been used for well over a century as
a delayed-dormant treatment to control mites, scales, and even some aphids,
with no ill effects on the health of the tree or the current season's crop.
The primary cautions we advise when using oils at this time of year stem from
their use a) in association with or too close in time to applications of
sulfur-containing fungicides, or b) just before or too soon after sub-freezing
temperatures; both of these practices risk the occurrence of phytotoxicity, as
oil's penetrant activity is capable of damaging the bark, wood, or bud tissues
in these situations.  Application of oil under any circumstances that do not
allow for normal drying to occur can also result in some tissue damage.  Also,
oil sprays during pink bud can cause burning of the sepals or petals, which may
affect normal pollination and fruit set.

Art