From: apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net
[mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net] On Behalf Of Peter J. Jentsch
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 2:14 PM
To: Apple-crop discussion list
Subject: Re: [apple-crop] definitions question: first, second, third cover

Greetings Rye,

I believe this term is a carry over from a time when pest management
applications would 'cover' the commodity in a blanket of spray following the
critical petal fall application. This PF event typically occurs at roughly 80%
of the petals falling from a variety such as Mcintosh in apple. At this point
in time the flowers loose their attractiveness to bees allowing for insecticide
pest management to occur.

In New York's Hudson Valley, this application of insecticide will control
European apple sawfly, plum curculio, the overwintering stage of obliquebanded
leafroller, tarnish plant bug, rosy apple aphid, and others, depending on the
insecticide used.

Typically insecticide applications follow a 10 to 14 day interval called cover
sprays or covers for short, depending of course on insecticide longevity and
the weather (OP's longer, Bt's shorter). The residual of the previous
application carrying over for this interval based on its residual to withstand
weathering or hydrolysis, its U.V. stability and so on.

These applications then target the same insect (PC for the 1st and possibly 2nd
cover), or a different insect species or complex of insects (such as codling
moth at 2nd, SJS at 3rd cover; summer generation of OBLR at 4th cover; apple
maggot & SJS at 5th -7th cover) at different periods relative to their timing
after petal fall. All of which depends on pest management strategies, weather,
population density to name but a few of the variables that increase or
decreasing the timing interval.

Regards,

Peter

Hello all,

I'm looking over pesticide information and I see a lot of references to first
cover, second cover and third cover and also references to first cover spray,
second cover spray and third cover spray.  All references seem to expect the
reader to know what that is.  Searching the web I found one reference that said
second cover is 4-6 weeks after petal fall.  Another reference seemed to refer
to the number of wet days to get to second cover and that didn't make any sense
to me at all.

I guess I'm really unclear on what "cover" means in this context.  What does
the term refer to?  What is being covered at these stages and/or what is doing
the covering?  Or what observation do you make and say "ah!  we are reached
second cover today!"  (same question for first and third.)

Also, what is the relationship between "second cover" and "second cover spray"?
(same question for first and third)  I think I would understand once I
understand what second cover is, but my general confusion on the topic leaves
me with little confidence in that.

I have found references for definitions of some stages such as green tip,
pre-pink, pink.  But these "cover" stages elude me.

Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Rye Hefley
Future Farmers Marketer
So. Cal.

  creation-date="Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:25:19 GMT";
  modification-date="Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:25:19 GMT"

Attachment converted: MacIntosh HD:ATT00001. 84.c (TEXT/ttxt) (0692E256)

--
Peter J. Jentsch
Senior Extension Associate