From: apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net
[mailto:apple-crop-boun...@virtualorchard.net] On Behalf Of Jose Manuel Pereira
Cardoso
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 4:56 AM
To: Apple-Crop
Subject: [apple-crop] Best time to start apple prunning after harvest

Hi don't know the best time to start prunning appIe trees, and if is cientific
consistent that i   suggest that pruning the apple tree should be always start
when the is 100% dormant, because if not dormant the plant is mobilizing the
reservesI don´t know if is any inconvenient to carry out pruning just afterthe
leaves fall because it coincides with the maximum translocation of reserves
(given the scarcity of labor, which has many hectares has already started to
prune pruning). In the latter case when you start pruning early on the one hand
we are to reduce the reserves in buds and in some ways to help the plant to
respond with vegetative buds and increase alternance, and we are exposing the
plant to external agents that can cause fungal infections and by bacteria. When
you start pruning early apple wood still not well "hard" it needstimely, and
then gain more strength. As for which variety to get there. Can still be
considered that the parcels located in areas of higher risk andlower the
occurrence of frost can be made as close to the bud ...This year in September
and October were too hot, and this heatkept the vegetation greener longer,
sometimes causing a delay inentry into dormancy of apple trees that can be
advanced with the application of copper, to force the plant to go
dormant.Greetings
--

JMP CARDOSO
SOMA MAÇÃS MAIS<http://www.somafrutas.com/intro/intro.html>