A little more info, I have been struggling for awhile now to attempt to
identify similar symptoms. We do of course have brown and green stink bug
here, and apparently increasing signs of BMSB activity. (But not
necessarily in orchard.) I have been told that bitter pit is typically more
superficial and shallow under the skin. On Honeycrisp, greenish sunken
spots have fairly deep brownish flesh discoloration below the spots. I have
some pictures of that too:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmcextman/sets/72157636328915735/

The previously attached pictures of the yellow apple are a numbered
selection, that I could have sworn was relatively clean just a few weeks
ago and now I am seeing this show up. (Dave R., there was some hail here
earlier (like June/July), but that damage was pretty easily identified
earlier and that does not appear to be the cause of this.)

I would presume that with some sort of microscope the best way to confirm
stink bug or not would be to look for a puncture hole? Yes, no? I will
slice some fruit later and send picts of that to the list. Thanks all for
your feedback.

Jon

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM, David A. Rosenberger <da...@cornell.edu>wrote:

> Hail injury from at storm in early to mid-season?  What are the internal
> symptoms when cut perpendicularly through the lesions?
>
> On Oct 7, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Jon Clements <jmcext...@gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>
> > See attached...
> >
> > <photo.JPG>
> >

> > 413-478-7219_______________________________________________
> > apple-crop mailing list
> > apple-crop@virtualorchard.net

>    Dave Rosenberger, Professor of Plant Pathology
>       Cornell University's Hudson Valley Lab
>       P.O. Box 727, Highland, NY 12528
>           Office:  845-691-7231
>           Fax:    845-691-2719