Vincent,

You did not mention the variety you are working with, and it may or may not
be relevant.  Some varieties adapt well to a multi-pick system where
remaining fruit increases in size when the largest are harvested.  I suppose
“drop” is a type of “harvest.”     Some variety/rootstock/location
combinations seem determined to produce a certain size apple regardless of
crop load, rainfall, pruning or thinning.

Did you also note vegetative growth of the tree?  Some trees for me seem to
devote more energy to starting vegetative growth under light crop load and
then continue the vegetative growth at the expense of fruit size.   A tree
that is heavily loaded early may “choose” not to sprout new shoots and
devote all energy to crop.  (similar to results of Apogee)  Is it plausible
that as the number of fruit increase the energy devoted to crop growth
increases?  Crop load may “stress” some varieties into a higher output mode.

In my experience results from very late hand thinning are VERY variety
specific.

Ernest Rollins

207-717-7057

Rollins Orchards