There is a lot of labor involved with the production of apples. For US
growers to be competitive, this implies that the price of labor will have
to fall here in the US or the cost of labor in China will need to rise.
(not likely) Another factor is the cost of fumigation.(?) Shipping is not a
real factor as they will ship directly to the West Coast for less than 5
cents per pound. I Owned a pottery back in the 80's, and when China
starting shipping to the US, the wholesale prices of their pottery was
about what I had to pay for the raw ingredients. It was truly shocking.
China is the largest grower of apples, outproducing the US by 9 fold. Also,
they are great farmers and the apple is a native tree for them. This is big
trouble for the US grower.