Hi Dave, your answer came in as I was pushing the send button ;-)

We basically wrote the same thing!

>   Unfortunately, none of the available models can predict whether or not
> inoculum is present in any given orchard,

We’ve just completed a 4 yr trial of monitoring bacteria during bloom using
qPCR and conclusions are simple:

1) Unless the sensitivity of the assay is greatly improved, the blossom
sampling effort is too important to reliably predict fire blight based on
bacteria population.

2) The best we could achieve with routine sampling is potentially avoid massive
large scale regional epidemic.

I don’t see how to solve this at this point.

Vincent

Vincent Philion, agr., M.Sc.
Microbiologiste/Phytopathologiste (pomiculture)

Institut de recherche et de développement en agro-environnement
Research and Development Institute for the Agri-Environment

www.irda.qc.ca

Centre de recherche
335, Rang des Vingt-Cinq Est
Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville (Québec)  J3V 0G7

vincent.phil...@irda.qc.ca