Right, I've solved my problem with a hack and some RTFSing, but I think I've found a bug either in the docs or Apache2::Cookie...

Basically if I read cookies like this:
$cookie_hash_ref = APR::Request::Apache2->handle($r)->jar();
it works, I can treat the return as a hash of cookies.

However, if I (following the Apache2::Cookie man page) go:
$jar=Apache2::Cookie->new($r);
foreach $name ($jar->cookies()){ blah blah }
then the names are actually the full baked header value (eg. "name=value")

I have to crack on with my project but I'll leave that one with you. Phil, thanks for the pointers and the cookie recipes in the FAQ!

John