On Sun, 21 May 2006, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

I'd prefer that no version of Archive::Tar be specified
for Win32, or perhaps even no such prerequisite at all;
it's a core module in ActivePerl, and has a history
of some instability on Win32 - an upgrade may break
things on the local system.

I was trying to address this from Steven Hay's post:
- When I ran "perl Makefile.PL --with-apache2=C:/apache2" I got an >>error
from win32/Configure.pl about Archive-Tar being missing, but >>this is not mentioned in the PREREQUISITES file and was not checked by >>test_prereq in Makefile.PL before calling this script.

It's a trade-off - Steve builds his own perl, so having
Archive::Tar as a prerequisite makes sense, but especially
requiring a particular version may mess up an ActivePerl
with an older version. So I think requiring version "0"
may be safest.

I'm fine with whatever you say is best... I'm not a MS guy.

I guess people on cygwin using the cygwin perl shouldn't be using the win32/Configure.pl. (I don't think Steven is)

That's right, on both counts.

--
best regards,
Randy