----- Original Message ----

The point of the optional interface is to eliminate problems arising from
module loading order.  Without the optional interface, C modules which depend
on mod_apreq2 must be loaded by apache AFTER mod_apreq2 gets loaded.  With
the optional interface, the load order does not matter.  It's just one less
headache for users to not have to worry about the order of their LoadModule
directives in httpd.conf.