On Wed, 12 Feb 2014, Greg White wrote:

Certainly, more complex models can be built to look into nuances of specific situations, and perhaps this is an area for other researchers to explore. But, at that point, I think you have to move away from simple synthetic usage models like we've been discussing in this thread (5 users simultaneously go immediately dark or simultaneously immediately saturate their link). TCP sessions (and other traffic loads) come and go across the user base asynchronously, so the available capacity fluctuates over time in a more random manner than we've used in this example. Similarly within each modem the traffic loads and TCP sessions will come and go and be in various states of congestion avoidance (hence differing amounts of queue), so the availability of a 500ms or 10ms of queued traffic isn't guaranteed in the FIFO vs FQ_CODEL cases.

How quickly does the CMTS react to customer demand, is this done continously (basically down to millisecond)? I don't know how cable works, I just know how LTE works for instance, where it actually takes a little while to adapt to changes in customer rate requirements. If cable does this is more or less round robin fairness between users then I agree with you that the current model is sufficient.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se