On 16. feb. 2014, at 20:35, Dave Taht wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Michael Welzl <mich...@ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
>> 14:40
>> draft-fairhurst-ecn-motivation
>> Gorry Fairhurst
>> 15 min
>>

>> This is apparently not a published draft yet.
>>

>> It's draft-welzl-ecn-benefits,
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-welzl-ecn-benefits-00
>
> It describes the benefits of ECN persuasively and well.

Thanks!!

> I would rather like a section discussing the negatives.

We point to one problem in the introduction:
   "Following a recommendation in
   [RFC3168], which says: "for a router, the CE codepoint of an ECN-
   Capable packet SHOULD only be set if the router would otherwise have
   dropped the packet as an indication of congestion to the end nodes",
   it has often been assumed that routers mark packets at the same level
   of congestion at which they would otherwise drop them (e.g. in
   [RFC2884]), but there are indications that this configuration is not
   ideal [KH13]."

With this configuration, which is a common default, e.g. also in Linux AFAIK,
one sometimes gets more queue growth than without ECN because the very packets
that an AQM mechanism marks with ECN don't free queue space (which they would
do if they were dropped instead). However, even this disadvantage has to be put
against the advantages that we tried to list, some of which can't be measured
by looking at the delay of packets on the wire  (e.g., head-of-line blocking
delay occurs in the receiver buffer).

Do you know about any other disadvantages?

Cheers,
Michael