Hi David,

> > - low latency AND high throughput (compared to low latency OR high
> > throughput for drop based congestion controllers)
>
> I think that you are overstating things when you say that without ECN you
> are forced to choose between low latency OR high throughput. that doesn't
> match what people are reporting when they use simple fq_codel without ECN

I disagree. At the least when you are using TCP, a drop will cause head-of-line
blocking on the receiver, for at least 1 RTT; Agreed, there are ways to
mitigate this (FEC-encoded transports).

But the "OR" is exactly the correct description here: FEC has inheritent
overhead thus reduced bandwidth, and loss-recovery suffers from head-of-line
blocking, thus higher latency (to the application, where it actually matters).

FQ-Codel runs with high bandwidth, but the drops induce latency in the
end-hosts nevertheless...
Thus FQ-Codel with ECN would still be more effective than without ECN.

Richard