On 10/9/2015 3:31 PM, David Lang wrote:

>>> "more appropriate network provisioning" is not always going to result in
>>> more bandwidth the way you want it to.
>>>
>>> If there is established infrastructure that can handle X in one
>>> direction and 100X in the other direction, but "appropriate network
>>> provisioning" requires that the ratio never be more than 3x, it's not
>>> going to magically increase bandwidth in one direction, all it can do is
>>> cap bandwidth in the other direction (throwing away capacity)
>>
>> Sure, but we're dealing with a problem that arises when the ratio can't
>> support 40:1. That's quite an asymmetry except in extreme cases where we
>> already know extreme measures are required (e.g., satcom with telco
>> backchannels).
>
> that's not the only situation we're talking about here.
>
> Also, keep in mind that your 40:1 ratio assumes that there is no traffic
> going the other direction.

FWIW, I wasn't - I was assuming that 40:1 is fine if what you intend to
support is browsing only.

> If you have one person trying to watch streaming video while another
> person is uploading pictures to facebook, you can run into trouble at
> much more even ratios.

Restated, you run into trouble because you sold a service you didn't
provision for ;-)

(or, more to the point, you took a gamble that you could sell a useful
service with a particular assumption about traffic ratios, and that
assumption no longer holds)

Again, IMO TCP isn't to be tampered with merely to support a business
model, and that's all I see so far.

Joe