[Trimming cc list]

On Fri, 2016-03-25 at 19:04 +0000, Bob Briscoe wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> It does make sense.
> Inline...
>
> On 24/03/16 20:08, Jonathan Morton wrote:
> >

> > > On 21 Mar, 2016, at 20:04, Bob Briscoe <resea...@bobbriscoe.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > The experience that led me to understand this problem was when a
> > > bunch of colleagues tried to set up a start-up (a few years ago
> > > now) to sell a range of "equitable quality" video codecs (ie
> > > constant quality variable bit-rate instead of constant bit-rate
> > > variable quality). Then, the first ISP they tried to sell to had
> > > WFQ in its Broadband remote access servers. Even tho this was
> > > between users, not flows, when video was the dominant traffic,
> > > this overrode the benefits of their cool codecs (which would have
> > > delivered twice as many videos with the same quality over the
> > > same capacity.
> > This result makes no sense.
> >
> > You state that the new codecs “would have delivered twice as many
> > videos with the same quality over the same capacity”, and video
> > “was the dominant traffic”, *and* the network was the bottleneck
> > while running the new codecs.
> >
> > The logical conclusion must be either that the network was severely
> > under-capacity
> Nope. The SVLAN buffer (Service VLAN shared by all users on the same
> DSLAM) at the Broadband Network Gateway (BNG) became the bottleneck
> during peak hour, while at other times each user's CVLAN (Customer VLAN)
> at the BNG was the bottleneck. The proposition was to halve the SVLAN
> capacity serving the same CVLANs by exploiting the multiplexing gain of
> equitable quality video... explained below.
> >
> > and was *also* the bottleneck, only twice as hard, under the old
> > codecs; or that there was insufficient buffering at the video
> > clients to cope with temporary shortfalls in link bandwidth;
> I think you are imagining that the bit-rate of a constant quality video
> varies around a constant mean over the timescale that a client buffer
> can absorb. It doesn't. The guys who developed constant quality video
> analysed a wide range of commercial videos including feature films,
> cartoons, documentaries etc, and found that, at whatever timescale you
> average over, you get a significantly different mean. This is because,
> to get the same quality, complex passages like a scene in a forest in
> the wind or splashing water require much higher bit-rate than simpler
> passages, e.g. a talking head with a fixed background. A passage of
> roughly the same visual complexity can last for many minutes within one
> video before moving on to a passage of completely different complexity.

This was all well understood in the 90's, when a ton of VBR video
research was ongoing.

> Also, I hope you are aware of earlier research from around 2003 that
> found that humans judge the quality of a video by the worst quality
> passages, so there's no point increasing the quality if you can't
> maintain it and have to degrade it again. That's where the idea of
> constant quality encoding came from.
>
> The point these researchers made is that the variable bit-rate model of
> video we have all been taught was derived from the media industry's need
> to package videos in constant size media (whether DVDs or TV channels).
> The information rate that the human brain prefers is very different.
>
> A typical (not contrived) example bit-rate trace of constant quality
> video is on slide 20 of a talk I gave for the ICCRG in May 2009, when I
> first found out about this research:
> http://www.bobbriscoe.net/presents/0905iccrg-pfldnet/0905iccrg_briscoe.pdf
> As it says, the blue plot is averaged over 3 frames (0.12s) and red over
> 192 frames (7.68s). If FQ gave everyone roughly constant bit-rate, you
> can see that even 7s of client buffer would not be able to absorb the
> difference between what they wanted and what they were given.

FQ only gives everyone roughly constant bit-rate when everyone is
backlogged (sending at or above their fair-share rate).  Which
contradicts the idea that the traffic is highly stat-muxable.

> Constant quality videos multiplex together nicely in a FIFO. The rest of
> slide 20 quantifies the multiplexing gain:
> * If you keep it strictly constant quality, you get 25% multiplexing
> gain compared to CBR.
> * If all the videos respond to congestion a little (ie when many peaks
> coincide causing loss or ECN), so they all sacrifice the same proportion
> of quality (called equitable quality video), you get over 200%
> multiplexing gain relative to CBR. That's the x2 gain I quoted originally.
>
> Anyway, even if client buffering did absorb the variations, you wouldn't
> want to rely on it. Constant quality video ought to be applicable to
> conversational and interactive video, not just streamed. Then you would
> want to keep client buffers below a few milliseconds.
>

> > or that demand for videos doubled due to the new codecs providing a
> > step-change in the user experience (which feeds back into the
> > network capacity conclusion).
> Nope, this was a controlled experiment (see below).
> >
> > In short, it was not WFQ that caused the problem.
> Once they worked out that the problem might be the WFQ in the Broadband
> Network Gateway, they simulated the network with and without WFQ and
> proved that WFQ was the problem.
>
> References
>
> The papers below describe Equitable Quality VIdeo, but I'm afraid there
> is no published write-up of the problems they encountered with FQ - an
> unfortunate side-effect of the research community's bias against
> publishing negative results.
>
> Mulroy09 is a more practical way of implementing equitable quality
> video, while Crabtree09 is the near-perfect strategy precomputed for
> each video:
> [Mulroy09] Mulroy, P., Appleby, S., Nilsson, M. & Crabtree, B., "The Use
> of MulTCP for the Delivery of Equitable Quality Video," In: Proc. Int'l
> Packet Video Wkshp (PV'09) IEEE (May 2009)
> [Crabtree09] Crabtree, B., Nilsson, M., Mulroy, P. & Appleby, S.,
> "Equitable quality video streaming over DSL," In: Proc. Int'l Packet
> Video Wkshp (PV'09) IEEE (May 2009)
>
> Either can be accessed from:
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/events/pv2009/default.aspx

Do you know what (if any) AQM was used with the BRAS WFQ implementation
tested?  WFQ+drop-tail or WFQ+RED - where the queue depths/RED
parameters are set based on the queue fair-share rate - would probably
perform much worse than a delay-based FQ-AQM such as FQ-CoDel, because
in a delay-based FQ-AQM a deep flow queue does not necessarily imply
high delay if that flow queue is currently being served at > fair share
rate (since the traffic is so nicely stat-muxable).

Regards,

// Steve