Hello Michael, All;

Others have complained about the lack of multitasking capability in DOS.
I bemoan the inability to multitask MYSELF when using an OS with a GUI.

Some time ago I came to realize that I can get the information I want from
the internet in many cases by bypassing the "normal" channels.

For instance, if I want a graph of a stocks' recent activity and I don't
want all the crap and padding that will accompany it if I request that
info by filling in the "form" and clicking, I can just open the URL of the
image I'm interested in.  Such as: http://ichart.yahoo.com/w?s=nnc.to

Just replacing the text after the = with the ticker symbol for any other
stock means I can make up the URLs easily myself, and I could create a
text file with sequential URLs for all the graphs I want for the day.

In DOS, IF I KNEW THE NECESSARY INTERNET PROTOCOL, it would be simple to
type GETTHEM <enter> and go up the street to get a coffee and donut,
knowing I would have 25 or so .gifs waiting for me when I get back.

I am certain the above can not be accomplished with Netscape and Windows.
I have to be sitting there, feeding the clickity clickity color comic book
interface for the retarded with the next URL.

There is some vague hope that a batch of URLs can be downloaded automatically
with Arachne - but only because we have access to the ear of the author.

Michael, would it be possible sometime to allow us to create a text file of
sequential URLs and you would provide the means to download each and write
each to an individual and recognizable file ? - as a batch operation ?

Likewise, with DOS I could type PRINTHEM <enter> and go to a movie. <G>

Yesterday, I actually HIRED someone and paid real cash money for them to sit
and stare at the Netscape screen (I had set up another system - 100Mhz Pent)
and for THREE HOURS they just waited and clicked, and clicked, and clicked -
back and forth from screen to screen,  printing 275 stock plots that I had
saved on diskette from the last quarter of 1999. :-(((

Help. ! There must be a way to get back the utility of DOS !!

-  Clarence Verge
--
-  Help stamp out FATWARE.  As a start visit: http://home.arachne.cz/