While I would not like to see a prolonged discussion of proper language
usage, I believe that it has considerable benefits if used in a proper manner.

I know that if I were trying to communicate in a foreign (for me) language, I
would appreciate all the help in a non-critical manner that I could get in
developing correct usage.  I would be embarrassed to continue incorrect usage
by believing that I was correct.

Roger Turk
Tucson, Arizona  USA

Clarence Verge wrote:

>>Martin Goldstern wrote:
>
> I do not understand why this topic is discussed on the arachne
> mailing list at all.

Well, Martin, we could all use an occasional reaming out. (That's probably
a split something)  As long as it isn't taken too seriously, I think it can
improve the quality of our communications.  But one of the best qualities
of the English language is its ability to evolve through common usage -
split infinitives definitely fall into that catagory. (kick me)

Personally, I try to use the occasional apostrophe correctly because I
recognize that there are different meanings dependant on the position of
that thing, and that's about as far as I am willing to toe the line.

Up here in Canada we know all about language police. Their job is to try
to make certain that a language which is afraid of evolution doesn't die.<<