On Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:41:32 -0500, Clarence Verge wrote:

> L.D. Best wrote:

>> Uh guys ..

>> Any binary file attached to e-mail *must* be encoded -- either MIME or
>> UU.  That includes zip files.

>> You've apparently found the problem, but it's not what you think it is.
>> <G>

>> The problem is that Arachne has, for some reason in ver 1.66, stopped
>> automatically decoding certain attached files.

> Uh L.D.....;

> The failure of Arachne to decode them doesn't enter into the picture when
> they get received by Netscape. When Ron sends the file to me with A1.64
> I receive it fine with Netscape. If he sends it with A1.66, the file grows
> to the size Sam said he received.

> Sam got it back to the right size with MIME64.exe.

> Now. Either ALL files are MIME64 encoded and Netscape automatically decodes
> them invisibly - excepting files sent by A166 wich may have the wrong type
> set - thereby confusing Netscape, Arachne, and whatever Sam receives with,
> OR .... hell I don't know - could it be simply that we really can send 8 bit
> info down the pipe and have been doing so for some time ?
> At least as attachments ? I have Netscape set to "Allow 8 bit" I see my
> Arachne has "MailBodyEncoding" set to 7bit. But what about attachments ?

> I really don't see any reason (except possibly protocol) to not allow 8 bit.
> And, of course, the tendency of some modems to hangup when they get certain
> strings <G>

> Seriously, allowing for your expertise in these matters L.D., it looks like
> it could be wrong file type. Should be easy enough to check.

Hello L.D., Clarence, and especially Ron:

I have noticed that there are two check-boxes in the InSight Editor to
indicate the type of encoding.  One of the check boxes is labeled MIME.
The other is labeled UU.  MIME is the default setting.  I have not been
able to change the setting within Arachne's "options" pages.  I have just
now changed the default by manually editing my ARACHNE.CFG.  There was a
line saying "MailEncoding MIME".  I changed this to read
"MailEncoding UUENCODE".  Now when I enter the editor, UU is checked as the
default.

I am now requesting Ron to please send me QS.ZIP again.  It is my hypothesis
that when he sends it again, I will receive it as a UUENCODED attachment
instead of as a MIME encoded attachment, even if Ron makes no changes in the
settings at his end.  I am supposing that Arachne automagically decodes
certain kinds of UUENCODED attachments.  The same MIME encoded attachments
files must be decoded manually by running MIME64.EXE.  These are the things
I want to test.

OK, Ron, please help me check it out.  Sock it to me again!  Don't change
your settings, and please send me QS.ZIP again.

Regards,

Sam Heywood

-- This mail sent by Arachne, www graphical browser for DOS
-- Visit the Arachne DOS Browser Home Page, http://home.arachne.cz