Matt Bahls wrote:

> Hi all,
> I currently use MS-DOS 6.22, but I am kind of contemplating
> switching to one of the alternate DOS programs out there.
> Could somebody please either point me to a good website
> that will explain the pros and cons of some of them or discuss
> it on list?
>
> I should point out that I am not displeased with MS-DOS.  I
> just want to play around a bit and see what else I can get my
> 486DX/33 with 16MB of memory to do.

Hi Matt;
Since I am using almost exactly the same hardware (only 12Mb RAM) I
would like to make a couple of personal recommendations.

First, your hardware will work MUCH better with DOS 5.0.

I use DOS 3.3 because it gives me more memory and speed than 5, but it
doesn't recognize large partitions. This is no problem for me with 5x 32mb
partitions on my HD. It is a BIG problem if you want/need larger partitions
or want to make a portable boot disk. :(

Second, use QEMM. Try to get an early version - they are much more efficient.
Not much point getting 100kb extra high memory if QEMM needs it for itself.
I suggest 5.12 as a good match.

Third, use a good HD cache. I use PC-CACHE. I would stay away from Smartdrv.
I'm going to be testing HD cache software this week I hope.

Fourth, use my speedchk.bat to tune up your files and buffers for best
average performance.

If you decide to go the other direction (DOS 7), speedchk is still useful
to show you whether you won or lost.

I'm sure we will have a bit of discussion now. <G>

-  Clarence Verge
--
-  Help stamp out FATWARE.  As a start visit: http://home.arachne.cz/