On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:18:19 +0200, Or Botton wrote:

>> There are no Windows programs that can be run in a "stand-alone" mode.

> That Edit is not a Windows program. Try for yourself.
> Pure DOS.

My version of DOS 7.00 came provided with WIN95.  Is it possible to load
DOS 7.00 without installing some components of WIN95?  I don't know about
this.

I do know there is a way of running WIN95 from a command line prompt,
but I don't know if this could technically be called pure DOS.  Also
I believe that WIN95 is a DOS program, a poorly written bug-infested one.

Maybe we have a misunderstanding here involving semantics.  I have been
involved in some discussions as to just what "pure" DOS really is, as
opposed to contaminated or hybrid breeds of it.  Such discussions usually
lead to flame wars with all of the parties, including myself, not really
understanding what we are talking about.  The concept of a pure DOS might
be just as absurd as the idea of a pure race.  We are all mixed up.

All the best,

Sam Heywood
-- This mail sent by Arachne, www graphical browser for DOS
-- Visit the Arachne DOS Browser Home Page, http://home.arachne.cz