from "Neil Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Linux runs fine on my Cx486/100 w/ 36M ram. That's with *KDE* - the 1st time
I saw it I was hypnotised by the possibility of 4 virtual desktops which can
be switched instantly, all on a machine with a 1Mb display card!
(end of quote)

I have Cx486DX2/66 with 20 MB RAM.  Any hope for KDE?  But I suppose both KDE
and GNOME would be considered lean and mean compared to Windows Me:

from CDW Buyers' Edge, you can even see pictures of the retail packages:

WHICH WINDOWS IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Whether you're a busy business professional or an at-home computer
user, CDW has Microsoft Windows software just for you.  Designed with
the business professional in mind, Windows 2000 Professional provides
added reliability, manageability and ease of Internet use.  Windows
Me brings the richness and convenience of the digital world to your
home.  Find the right Windows for you at CDW today.

http://www.cdw.com/r.asp?n=15865

from About Today newsletter:

IT'S ALL ABOUT ME
Today is when Windows ME (Millennium Edition) finally hits stores. Want
to know whether you should upgrade? Windows Guide Ed Bott has all the
details about Microsoft's latest operating system.
http://windows.about.com/library/bl_wme_home.htm

The [EMAIL PROTECTED] recommends at least 1 GB disk space just for
Windows ME, 128 MB RAM, a fast Pentium-class CPU, and forget it if the computer
is more than two years old.  Way to sell new computers, and fill dumpsters with
not-so-old computers!  I guess for most people on this list, Windows Me will be
Windows SE (Somebody Else).