I seem to have missed that discussion. At risk of reviving an issue ;-) but
here goes:

I am having 'some' problems with an image viewer I am putting together for
people to view a friends artwork on the web.
OK, ok, it's written in Javasnit, but the important problem (for me) is that
with IE the images show up fine on my machine. With Opera / Netscape, no
pictures show. Is there a technical difference which differentiates one file
extension from another?

That is - is there a difference (other than file extension) between .jpeg,
.jpg, .jpe, or .jfif ?

One thing I keep bearing in mind is I'll want to write the pages anyway for
non-js browsers, so with 20+ images at 2 or 3 sizes, I have a lot of
duplication of work if I don't get the image type right! Image collection
should be browsable at resolutions from 640x480, and I don't want viewers to
bugger off because it takes an age to load. Current idea is 4 thumbnails per
page, each clickable for a larger image. Any more & page load time goes over
*my* preference of 5-10 seconds.

Thanks for any views, suggestions or flames!
(Is it me or has this group been plagued by a swarm of Neils, Neils', or
Neil's recently? <g> )
Neil Smith

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:28:51 -0500
"Samuel W. Heywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
Subject: Re: Does PNG transform to BMP work for you?

>I have found that some www browsers and some graphics viewing programs
>do not recognize a JFIF or a JIF or a JIFF.  I just rename the image file
>and give it a JPG extension, and that is the work-around that solves the
>problem for me.  I don't know if anyone here knows for sure if there are
>really any differences among JIFs, JIFFs, and JPGs.  We had this discussion
>on the list about two years ago, but no definite conclusions were drawn as
>far as I can recall.  I think it was I who brought the matter up.  Opinions
>were ample.

In an online world without walls, who needs Gates and Windows?
Visit my home site for more info:http://www.fresh-toast.com/welcome.htm