As far as I know, DSL connection is always on, like LAN or cable.  I believe DSL
can be by DHCP, but DSL providers are leaning toward PPPoE.  DSL is by phone
line, but separate from the voice part so that the same phone line carrying a
DSL connection can carry a voice conversation at the same time.  I've wondered
how a DSL connection is initiated, and resumed after being disconnected or the
computer shut down and rebooted, or turned off and rebooted.

So now we know DSL with PPPoE requires a special driver for DOS, and that driver
exists.  I remember posting that question some time back.