Hi Folks,

From: "J. J. Young"
>Ron noted:
>>Got a nice big (just over 1 MB) .BMP and zipped it
>>to .ZBM.
>>
>>    The zip was reduced to about 85 % of the original .BMP.   :(
>>
>>  That is obviously not good enough, so what did I miss ?

> G'day Ron. Your big bitmap was a photo, I wager.

    Yes, of course.         :)      <leer>

> Clarence has
> been zipping bitmaps of screenshots of mainly text webpages,
> which have larger regions of single color. If these have their
> color-depth increased so that they may be saved as JPEGs the
> resultant files are larger than ZBM, GIF or PNG and the text
> will look antialiased (fuzzy).

   Yes, I follow that.

> Here's a list of results from compressing a small photo:
> Image Compression Tests
> ***********************
> Original:  263,254 bitmap
> Zipped     220,543 = 83.8% of original

   That matches what I found, too.

   In that case, as a screenshot BMP compressor, it may be the way to
go. As a photo-realistic image, JPG is still the best choice.

   That's cool - another option for Arachne.    :)

Regards,
        Ron

Ron Clarke  http://homepages.valylink.net.au/~ausreg/music.html
-- This mail was written by user of Arachne, the Ultimate Internet Client