On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:48:31 +0000, Mel Evans, Registered Arachne User wrote:

> As you all know, I'm definitely not a DOS person, I struggle along with
> it, so, just for the hell of it [VBG 8>} ], could someone tell me if QNX
> could be put onto the HDD in some way so that you can call it up without
> doing the re-boot with the floppy in the drive? I know that QNX is a
> Unix sort of program and carries it's own GUI with it on disc, but how I
> might get it to do this is maybe a bit beyond me, however, with some
> help. . . .

take a look at http://get.qnx.com . If DOS is what you got, then best of
luck, you'll need it.

The installation on FAT16/32 (they _call_ it Windows95) is done
apparently using only the standard DOS APIs, and the product is bootable
from a standard-type DOS. Only trouble is, the setup program wants the
GUI, so bloze is required for no good reason.

The result? Can't be done from DOS, 'cos ya don't have user.dll . Can't
be done comfortably from ME, 'cos you don't have direct access to DOS at
boot.

Something this ill-conceived for a promotional install is *not* a good
sign for the future thinking from the QSSL group. Add to that their
desire to have devlopers that "think small", and excluding straight DOS
users becomes an even more serious matter.

There is a tar.F distribution. I'm thinking of compiling freeze from the
FreeBSD folks on Minix. It's been tested with DOS, but I'm sure the QNX
distro would use LFNs, right?

On the other hand, why bother? Like I said - not a good sign, therefore
less likely to be worth the trouble.

 ...and I've no desire to do QSSL's work for them for free, anyway. Bear
in mind that to create anything with QNX and get paid for it requires
expensive licensing. This whole distro is just an invitation for others
to do the work *and* pay the bills when QSSL comes calling.

QSSL is QNX Software Services, Limited (I think).

Bob

Starts April 1, 2001
-- Arachne V1.69, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/