Someone here recently said that they could not SMTP to their web
email service, but got the error message about "requires
authentication"...or something to that effect.

My YahooMail account is accessed from my home computer and I upload
and download my mail off Yahoo.

YahooMail Servers require "authentication" also.  This means that
I must POP3 download my mail (or, at least, try to, if there is
no incoming mail) before it will let me PUSH (SMTP) my mail upload
to it....It has given me the "authentication required" error before,
when I tried to SMTP before POP3ing.  Maybe that is what is happening
to you...

.......gregy

-- This mail was written by user of Arachne, the Ultimate Internet Client