Sam wrote:
>Hello Arachnids:
>
>Please go here: http://www.johnsux.f2s.com/ [altered]
>Then view source (F6)
>Really weird stuff.
>
>Does anyone understand the concept of how this page works?

-- Yes, but its only purpose appears to be denying a view of
   a webpage's content from those without a JavaScript browser
   or the time and wherewithall to decode the source.

   The body text is replaced with numeric entity equivalents
   for each character. JavaScript is used to write the HTML
   tags. You can make a page without the JavaScript. Maybe it
   was thrown in for obfuscation, and maybe the sellers of this
   program hope to trick people into thinking the design/formatting
   of their webpages will be encrypted.

   The text of the page reads:

"This is a distribution point for the innovative HtmlCrypt program
released from Classic Idea software.

If you view the source to this page you will see that the pages has
been used here.

this has been a NiteFall.Org sponsored event.

HtmlCrypt is a product developed under the Classic Idea label.

Its basic function is to encrypt your HTML documents. It does
this by converting the text on WebPages into an encrypted format
that browsers can still read. HTML documents that are encrypted
with HtmlCrypt3 will display exactly the same as the unencrypted
documents. [Pah!] The difference is that you cannot view the source
code of the encrypted documents. The program works on a simple drag
and drop windows interface, and is extremely user friendly."

>Please do not post to the list a lengthy dissertation.  If you could
>refer me to a URL that might help explain this kind of thing to me,
>that would be most helpful.

-- There are plenty of online tutorials on JavaScript. I know you
   have access to a Win9x PC and no doubt a JavaScript browser, but
   do you really want to get embroiled? BTW, the page is viewable
   with NN3.04 and Opera3.60, 16-bit -- but plenty of current JS is
   _not_. For simple encryption experiments it may help to know that
   A to Z covers A - Z, and a to z covers a - z.

>Thanks.
>
>Sam Heywood

Good Luck!

Jake Young

Sam, thinking of cartography (as opposed to cryptography), there
was a jokey news quiz on the radio recently which reported the
UK Ordnance Survey's puzzlement over the popularity of a house-name
in Wales. It turned out to be Welsh for "Beware of the dog".