On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:04:12 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Arachne Buffs:

> I've just downloaded Arachne 1.69 to my 4-MByte, 66 MHz 80486
> DX2 computer running MSDOS 6.22 and now I'm trying to use it to
> link with my Internet Service Provider (ISP), Albuquerque ROS
> (ros@abq).

> However, when I dial my ISP, I find myself in text mode, as if
> I were trying to access the ROS BBS, rather than the Web site,

This is a manual/script-based login procedure. When you call your
ISP, its exactly like calling a BBS.

Once you get past the login procedure, you begin to use TCP/IP to
send and receive data from the internet, trough this terminal.

This is what makes your internet connection possible via a phone line
and a modem instead of a network cable.

You could say that an IP address is the "ID" or "Zip code" of your
computer or whatever you use, on the internet. "IP" means Internet
Protocol. The idea is that you need 2 IP numbers to connect 2 computers
on the internet: one is your own, and one is of the target computer.

Its like the phone network. When number 555-1234 want to call to
555-5678, you need 2 numbers. One is your own (555-1234) and one
is of the target (555-5678).

An IP address is either fixed, or dynamic.
Fixed means that whenever you login, you always get the same IP address.
Dynamic means, that whenever you login, the ISP give you a random IP
address from the IP addresses they have availble. Most ISPs give
a random IP to phone modem connections, and a fixed IP to cable-modems
or network users.

In Arachne setup - try to make sure that the IP address is set on
"Dynamic". It could be, though, that the ISP doesnt give you an IP
address once you connect. This is really bad, and shouldnt be happening.
Therefor I guess the first option is possible. Make sure that Arachne
is configured on Dymanic IP rather then on Fixed IP.