I don't think there were any government laws passed to prohibit computer
manufacturers from producing an Intel/compatible computer without Windows or
dealers from selling such a computer, but MS used their corporate power to bully
computer manufacturers and dealers into unfair contract terms.  But it still is
doubtful whether MS could legally prevent a computer dealer from putting
together a computer from parts, and selling such a computer free of MS Windows.
I believe IBM sold computers to businesses with OS/2 preloaded if the order was
big enough, which would exclude home users.  Then there were some smaller
dealers who would put computers together from parts without Windows, apparently
they didn't sign a license agreement with MS.  Such a dealer would not be the
one to go to for somwbody who wanted/wants a ready-to-run preconfigured Windows
system, but would be of great interest to OS/2 or Linux users.