On Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:33:34 -0500 (EST), Thomas Mueller wrote:

> I believe 128-bit encryption started before MSIE 5.5, and was supported by MSIE
> well prior to 5.5, I can't say exactly how far back.  Netscape had both 128-bit
> and 40-bit versions because of U.S. export restrictions.  But users who had the
> 40-bit version could fortify it for 128-bit encryption (http://www.fortify.net),
> with software technology from Australia, freely downloadable, outside U.S.
> jurisdiction.  There were or are versions for Linux, OS/2 Warp, and I believe
> also Windows.

> I don't know how many bits encryption are in Lynx386.  Arachne does not
> currently support https at all.

Lynx386, in its latest DOS release, supports 128 bit encrytion.  Of
course this is not very useful if the page you need to get is JavaScript
infested.  I think most secure sites are full of JavaCrap.

Sam Heywood
-- See our Big Gizmotimetemp at
-- http://banners.wunderground.com/banner/gizmotimetempbig/US/VA/Mt_Jackson.gif