(from Thomas Mueller (>>) & Sam Ewalt (>):

>> Sam, are you sure that was MS-DOS 6.22 in 1993?  Most of my MS-DOS 6.22 files,
>> in directory C:\DOS, bear date 5-31-94, when that really meant 1994.  Maybe your
>> chronology is off?
>
>Upon reflection,  I realize that you must be right.  I didn't  actually
>take delivery of the XT until the late spring of 1994. It did come
>with MS-DOS 6.22 installed.

Actually it must have been summer, considering the lag between completing the
MS-DOS 6.22 package, retail distribution, and installing on computers.  In order
to preinstall Windows on computers in those days, they had to install DOS first,
since it was pre-Win95.

>> Can you use Telix nowadays?
>
>Sure, why not? That is, you can use it if you have someplace to
>call. If I lived in a more metropolitan area like Ann Arbor I could
>use it to connect with all sorts of things like public access Unix
>systems and libraries, even still existent BBS's. Of course most of
>these things are also reachable via the Internet.
>
>Telix is much more functional, versatile and easier to use than the
>Arachne telnet client.

I remember calling BBSes in late 1996 into early 1997.  I had several lists of
BBSes, but more than half the listings were invalid.  I used minicom from Linux
and Hyperaccess full retail version from OS/2, didn't have anything good for
DOS, just Comit, which didn't do Zmodem, and had a serious bug whereby typing /
(slash) always brought up the Comit menu, even if it was in the middle of a
dialogue with the BBS.  Too bad I didn't have Conex or Ralf Brown's program.  I
downloaded Telix, but it can't decide whether it's supposed to be a trial
version limited as to the number of uses allowed.  So this version was not
workable.  I'd like to see if Conex and Ralf Brown's program work, never got the
chance to try, would like to see if I could telnet with a command like
tcpport n1.n2.n3.n4 23 conex
where n1.n2.n3.n4 is the IP address of the telnetable BBS or other telnet
server.