One possible useful function for using the ASCII transfer mode with
ftp:   If your file is text, ascii transfer MAY (I have not researched
this) automatically convert Unix style end-of-line characters to
Dos style (ctrl-Mctrl-J I believe), or vice versa,  and/or automatically
remove or add the ctrl-Z that signals end of file (EOF) in dos text files.

This would save you the trouble of using a separate program on the Unix
or dos side, to do this. Something tells me there will be a quick reply
about whether ftp performs such conversions. I do recall that the
file transfer programs in terminal emulators used to give you this
auto-conversion option.

Howard Schwartz
     theo  "at"  ncal.verio.com