In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you write:
>   So, a FULL 4% of the requests from my server are HEADs.
> ;-)

Wow :)

>   You don't actually use Arachne, do you...  Yes,
> cache filenames are assigned by time -- how many
> seconds since some date in 1970 (31 Jan?).

Offline (stripped down to a pure viewer) all the time, online never. I
did test it a few times online, but for my purposes it was too slow and
didn't give me enough information about the progress of the request.

> > An additional trick I like is for each file to have it's URL added at
> > the top of the cached file in a comment.
>
> Contents of 996179725.HTM.http:
>
> <TITLE>HTTP header of http://wizard.dyndns.org/</TITLE><PRE>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 20:35:15 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)  (Red Hat/Linux) PHP/3.0.15
> Last-Modified: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 14:03:22 GMT
> ETag: "3058c-ab8-3b4effaa"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> </PRE><HR>URL:<A
> HREF="http://wizard.dyndns.org/";>http://wizard.dyndns.org/</A><BR>Local:<A
> HREF="file:/home/steve/.arachne/cache/996179725.HTM">/home/steve/.arachne/ca
>che/996179725.HTM</A><HR>
>
>   So, you can see the *.http file relates the original
> filename to the cached filename... which is how the
> image links are maintained within the cache.
> (also note that the info in the *.http file is nearly
> identical to the info returned by the HEAD command,
> hence my mistaken earlier statement that a HEAD
> command always precedes a GET command)

Thanks for that. I don't think that DOS has filenames of that format :)
I don't recall any files with that sort of content either, but it's been
a long time since I'd have seen them so that doesn't mean a lot.
Does it track and log redirection ?

Alex.
--
  (    Alex Venn               )  (   Success has many fathers,   )