Clarence Verge wrote:

>As suspected, I could not run X without a window manager.
>I couldn't even remember how I changed WMs in the past. :((((

The simplest way to run X without a WM.:
==========================
Move the files whose name resemble  .Xclients (hidden files) in your home
directory in some subdirectory of your choice or rename it as you like. Create
a file named .xinitrc (don't forget the dot in front of it) using an ASCII
editor of your choice.

#!/bin/sh
#This runs xterm without doing anything else
exec xterm

And another example

#!/bin/sh
# This runs fvwm2 with an xterm on top
exec xterm &
exec fvwm2

Set the executable flag of .xinitrc

$ chmod  a +x  ./.xinitrc

Type startx

Explanation: startx calls xinit program.
xinit searches for .xinitrc in home directory. If not found here
 then /etc/X11/xinitrc is executed
xinitrc calls ~/.Xclients (kind of "startup") If not found here,
  then /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients is executed (starting the bloated thing).
Study the X and xinit man pages! (RTFM -- :- ))

Cristian Burneci