cyborg wrote:

> back in the "80's" when I discovered how dos was like a file
> cabinet,with drawers and folders and papaers (files) ,it all
> suddenly made sense to me.  does anyone know any basic things
> about linux that would relate an understanding in linux as was
> in dos?

Linux uses standard directories (folders) for things.  Just as
in DOS (where the \dos directory contains the system executables),
the primary Linux executables are found in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin
and /usr/sbin.  Linux configuration files go in /etc.  Libraries
go in /lib.  For your own bits & pieces, you can use your home
directory (adding subdirectories if you wish).  Or, put your
executables in /usr/local/bin for wider availability.  Or, for
casual tinkering, you can use /tmp.

Cheers,
Steven

Linux for old PCs: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ichi