On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 22:56:57 -0500, Clarence Verge wrote:

> Thomas Tabler wrote:

>> Dear List:

>>     After much work at making an 8 meg ramdisk in extended memory
>> to make enough disk space for Arachne 1.69, changing Arachnetemp to
>> d=temp, and even renaming primary Arachne directory on "C:" hda1, as
>> well as cache.idx to mask it from the setup routine, still no go.
>> It says "error: invalid path".  Now will you explain to me what this
>> junk is?  So unless I rename my Arachne directory to something else
>> and just use it as a backup, I cannot even install two Arachne
>> directories on my machine.

> The answer must be something simple that you have overlooked.
> I have four Arachnes installed on my machine at home.

> The first one, which I use almost all the time, was there first and it
> got to be installed in C:\ARACHNE. It is A1.62.
> The next is in C:\A166. Guess what it is. <g>
> The next is in C:\A167.
> The last is in C:\A170.

> They all share the same mail and download.
> Arachne.cfg specifies the FULL pathname for each of the above.
> e.g. C:\ARACHNE\MAIL even tho the .cfg is for A170. etc.

> To operate the MAIN one I type SPIDER.
> To operate a different one I manually CD \170 and type ARACHNE.

You could also do it something like what I do in unzipping whichever
version I want. (in your case: cd to the correct directory)

--- a.bat ---
c:
cd %1
call arachne.bat
cd \
@echo Done!
_______________

The 4 possible command lines in your case:

a.bat arachne<enter>

a.bat a166<enter>

a.bat a167<enter>

a.bat a170<enter>

In my case: arr.bat runs any version I choose 100% on RamDrive

--- arr.bat ---
@echo off
if "%1"=="" goto err
C:
CD\
CALL \EMSDSK\XMSDSK 64000  l: /c1 %3
copy c:\command.com l:\
IF NOT EXIST l:\command.com goto delmail
set comspec=l:\command.com
md l:\temp
set temp=l:\temp
IF NOT EXIST l:\ARACHNE\ARACHNE.BAT PKUNZIP -d e:\ARACHNE\!AR%1.ZIP l:\
PKUNZIP -d -o e:\ARACHNE\MAIL\!AR!MDIR.ZIP l:\
if "%1"=="mail" PKUNZIP -d -o E:\ARACHNE\MAIL\!AR!MAIL.ZIP l:\
D:
CD\AUDIO\CNDMIDI
LH SBMIDI
SBSIM
CD\
l:
CD \ARACHNE
md c:\arachne
md c:\arachne\mail
xcopy c:\arachne\mail\*.* l:\arachne\mail\ /s
IF EXIST PPP.LOG CALL ARACHNE.BAT -r %2
IF NOT EXIST PPP.LOG CALL ARACHNE.BAT %2
C:
:delmail
? del l:\arachne\!*.*
call deltree.bat c:\arachne\mail
xcopy l:\arachne\mail\*.* c:\arachne\mail\ /s
D:
CD\AUDIO\CNDMIDI
SBSIM /u
SBMIDI /u
CD\
C:
set comspec=c:\command.com
set temp=c:\temp
goto end
:err
echo To run !ar150b2.zip --- arrm 150b2(enter)
pause
dir e:\arachne\!ar*.zip /p
pause
:end