Hi Sam,

am Freitag, den 22.03.02, 16:28 (erhalten am 22.03.02, 23:17) meintest Du:

> Does anybody else know of some good free web-based email and/or POP3
> service that works OK with Arachne?

Well, for german users there would be at least three big freemail
providers that should work with Arachne: GMX, Web.de and Arcor. GMX once
had an international website in English, but they closed it several
weeks ago. I don't know why or if this means that foreign users can't
create an account there anymore, but it definitely was possible before.
My main ISP and mail service is Arcor, as you can see in my address, and
Arachne wouldn't work for the account procedure, because Java script is
used for that. So I had to come up with MSIE 5.01 (16-bit) in order to
get this thing straight. In the meantime I'm using IE 5.5 (32-bit) with
Win95b, and except for some strange misbehaviour of all my Win apps
since an attempted installation of an encyclopedia viewer last week I'm
quite happy with it since almost a year now.

But coming back to Arachne's usability with different POP3 and SMTP
servers, I would say it should have no difficulties as long as the
provider hasn't installed SMTP_AUTH exclusively on his SMTP servers
(like Compuserve, for example), because this is not possible with the
current Arachne version.

Speaking of versions: What happened? I mean, where is it, the new one?
;-)

Bis dann, Hans-Jürgen