On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 10:15:26AM -0500, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

> To get Usenet messages and to post them
> one must do this directly through a news server (i.e., an NNTP
> server) via of a news client program, OR through some special
> web-based service using a www interface and providing for such
> capabilities, OR via Telnet.  The Telnet procedure is rather
> complicated, and usually the Telnet connection will run very slow.
> I don't think there are any other ways of doing newsgroups.  If
> anyone knows of any other methods, please let us know about them.
>
> Arachne does not have a capability for using a news server.
> Nettamer does, and it is a most excellent and efficient client
> program to use for doing newsgroups.

NNTP is the standard way to access newsgroups (Usenet) over the
Internet. DOS NNTP clients that I have used are uka_ppp, ka9q
(Yan) and Lynx386 (online).

Some alternate (older) methods:

If one has read-only access to Usenet (some open NNTP servers),
you can post using a mail-to-news gateway. Some BBS's carry
selected Usenet newsgroups which are available as QWK packets.
If you have a shell account, you might be able to access Usenet
using a Unix newsreader or by creating SOUP packets that you
can transfer to your PC.

Howard E.

--
<http://www.ncf.ca/~ag221/>