Roger,
You can copy those sys files to a floppy ... without even changing their
attributes, with certain utilities.  BUT it wouldn't work.

System files go on a specific portion of a FDD (just like the MBR goes
on a specific portion of your HDD) -- and that portion of the floppy is
NOT accessible to a file copy procedure.  This is a A Good Thing (tm),
since otherwise people might just copy stuff over those hidden by very
necessary files. <G>

Now, some guru somewhere may know the code that the BIOS must see to
access the boot sector of a floppy ... and said same guru might come up
with a utility that allows users to copy "anything they want" into the
boot sector of a floppy.  If that were to happen, I could create a
bootable floppy for any DOS I had available on my harddrive, regardless
of which version I were running.  I could turn on that utility, give it
the path to the system files & command.com I wanted to place on floppy,
and it could create a bootable DOS 6.22 Floppy on my DOS 5.0 system.

It should be a rather simple utility to design, and should be rather
small.  It would certainly be marketable in "less than rich" portions of
this world where 286 isn't a dirty word.  The question is, would the
appreciation of "the unwashed masses" be enough recompense for the
techie who comes up with the utility ... cuz s/he ain't gonna get rich
with it.  One further aspect of such a utility:  It would really REALLY
piss M$ off, the idea that someone running one DOS could create a boot
diskette for another DOS, or even create it from the CLI of dozerwarez!!
}:>

====

-- Arachne V1.70;rev.3, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/