On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 13:29:29 +0200 (EET), Cristian Burneci wrote:

> For those of you not using DR-DOS I have to point out that there's no need
> of Himem.sys in DR-DOS (in fact I am not sure is there is one in DR-DOS).

Yes, there is. For 286-based machines.

> But it is slower than other EMM's and a bit unstable, too.

If you have exotic (or very modern) hardware and/or drivers,
you need sometimes fiddle a bit with configuration. But on
a standard 386 or 486 PC there should be no problems.

> Also, there's no need to load DPMS if you're not using Personal Netware.
> DPMS is used only by the Novell utilities.

NWCACHE and NWCDEX (disk cache and CD-ROM redirector) both use
(although do not require) DPMS on 286 and above.
It allows to reduce their conventional memory usage -- significant
parts of these programs are then loaded into extended memory and
execute in protected mode.

Greetings,

Michal