Hi Glenn,

You are as stubborn as I am when it comes to solving irritating problems :0

> Your CDs are Y: and Z: ?
> How many total drives do you have?

I use all 26 drive letters.  I park the CDROM's at the end of the
alphabet because that way they are never 'bumped around' as partitions are
added and deleted on my HD's. -- but it doesn't matter what letters I use,
I can always get to them on the URL line, but '\\' always hangs.
Even when I cancel all my 'subst'ed' drives the problem is the same.

> Since it seems that you have more than 1 CD drive loaded.
> Is there a 'readable-by-Dos' CD in both/all of those CD drives?

Yup, and no problems accessing them via URL line.

> What happens if you enter onto the URL line "file:@:*.*" (no quotes)?

This behaves exactly the same as '\\' and 'your computer'.

> Are all of the partitions of the HDD "readable-by-Dos"?

NO! I have a linux partition which Arachne ignores completely.

> Is one of those partitions a W9x FAT32 partition?

All my DOS partitions are FAT32.  Arachne herself sits in one and I can
read these partitions no problem using the URL line.  Still, I think that
FAT32 might be part of the problem since, as I said earlier, after I have
run W98 and quit back to DOS, everything works just fine.  It's as though
W98 does something magical to the CDROMs that remains in effect even after
Windows is gone.  Sad to think that running Windows can cure a bug in
Arachne ;-(

Thanks again Glenn, you're a trooper.

Ray Andrews,
Vancouver, Canada