On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Bart Buitinga wrote:

>    LINUX
> Routing is still completely obscure to me. It must be possible to put up
> some table on Hoppla, passing the modems tcp-ip connection on to the eth0
> as long as the ISP delivers ip addresses, but no luck so far.

  Some stuff from my old LOG file:
  Obviously, change the 192.168.24 to 10.0.0.
This was what I was using when I had the W95 machine on eth0
and the internet on ppp0.  This allowed me to dial up the
Linux machine, and my wife and I could both surf at the same
time.  Sharing a 33.6 modem wasn't really that bad unless we
were both downloading something large at the same time...
then we each had the equivalent of a 16.8 modem.  :-/
(I say that with the memory of my impression at the time.
Now that I'm totally spoiled with broadband, 33.6 would be
intolerably slow, nevermind 16.8.)

----------
001116

Here are the commands for getting IP Masquerading up:
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
ipchains -A forward -p all -s 192.168.24.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0./0 -i ppp0 -j MASQ
----------

  You probably don't need this, but you might see something
there that gives you an "aha" moment if ip masquerading by
itself doesn't do the trick.

----------
000109
-*-

commands for getting network up:

/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.0.36-3/net/tulip.o
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.24.13 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
/sbin/route add -net 192.168.24.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
/sbin/route add default ppp0
----------

> Other starange behaviour of zen: since I put up the new kernel, mc and top
> wouldn't run any more, while during startup /proc appeared to be missing
> (that might also have to do with copying the entire UMSDOS tree around over
> an ftp link with wsftp/win95; maybe an empty dir wasn't copied). So I
> created /proc, and found mc and top starting to run but only after some 5
> minutes. Either some timeout that has to do with the routing compiled in
> the kernel, or another aspect of none mounting /proc. Maybe some other
> empty dir is used in this procedure?

  If you were missing /proc, that WILL be the "root" of all
kinds of problems.  You absolutely need /proc, as that's
a kernel info database that just looks like a file system.
There is no actual /proc directory on the hard disk
anywhere.  For instance, do
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
  The information isn't returned from an actual "file" but
from data the kernel has recorded about the cpu.

  Without /proc... I don't even see how Linux could run at
all.

>    OTHER

  Sorry, no help here on that front.

--