On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Samuel W. Heywood wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:34:16 -0500 (EST), Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I've forwarded the message to all three abuse contacts.
> > If everyone on this list did the same, it might get at least
> > one open relay plugged.
>
> <snip>
>
> I don't think so.  If you report your spam to the abuse reporting
> addresses they will confirm your email address and sell it to
> other spammers.

  So, if you send a spam complaint to [EMAIL PROTECTED] when
you were spammed from an aol-owned IP address, they'll just
sell your e-mail address to "other spammers?"  Damn!  No
wonder I get so many viruses sent from aol'ers!  AOL has
been selling my address to the clueless!

> If a spam qualifies also as a fee-in-advance scam, which this one
> certainly smells like, the US federal government would like you to
> report it to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".  I don't know what good that
> does, but that is the place where I am sending my spam report.

  I believe these types of problems should be solved by peer
pressure and volunteerism.  The whole "report suspicious
activity to your government" mentality is just too KGB and
Nazi for me.

--
Steve Ackman
http://twoloonscoffee.com       (Need green beans?)