There's a port number 0 below; was the modem autodetected? Did you try the
autodetect (from Setup choose ppp-wizard)?
where are the other com ports (perhaps check your bios setup to enter some
standard config com1=2f8 com2=2e8 com3=3f8 com4=3e8 (if I'm not mistaken;
real standard numbrs are mentioned on arachnes "internal ppp-support page);
if bios configuration is set to "auto" sometimes other values are assigned
leaving arachne with an unrecognised port, where maybe miniterm just sends
its output and makes the modem dial while epppd doesn't get the proper
configuration to read the ip address. I think msd would be the way to find
out your other port addresses in dos6x, the bios setup can usually be
accessed by pressing <del> while the system is counting its memory during
startup (or repeatedly pressing <del> from the moment you switch on until
you see some options menu, if there is some graphics display)

rule for the bios setup: make sure your onboard comports are 1 and 2 or
just 1, but avoid assigning 2 or 3 when 1 is open. If your comports are not
"onboard" but on a (ide) controller, you may have to check jumper settings
on that board, but better check the bios first. (usually "extendd bios
setup" or "integrated peripherals")

good luck,