Hi David,

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:28:56 -0500, david gunnells wrote:

> Hello Ron,
> Maybe you'd be interested in these:
> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~confiles/
> specifically, this page:
> http://members.ozemail.com.au/~confiles/confiles.html

   Thanks for that David.   :)

   I finally got it all - I had to "leech" the site with WGET, then
re-write the background colours in order to see any of it, but I now
have it all.

   As I suspected before, it is a collection of bits and pieces put
together by our own version of the gun lobby - the Sporting Shooters Assoc.

   Some of it is actually well researched and documented, and much of what
is said I can only agree with, although not actually pertinent to the issue
of gun ownership and public safety.

   But some of it is also deliberately misleading, e.g. by stating what is
true (but unreleted) and then saying "therefore .....  ", or by other
manipulative tricks used by all flavours of propagandists.
   For instance, any treatment of facts and figures from before the gun
control laws were even proposed have no relevence to the efficacy or
otherwise of gun control, and gun "registration" was never an issue in our
present gun control measures, and has no bearing on the present situation.

  Sadly, it is the sort of woolly and extravagant collection of claims,
mostly unsupported by facts, decorated with largely irrelevant numbers
and selective quotes that I would expect from the knock-on-your-door
God-botherers.

  I am sure that even legitimate gun supporters would wince at some of
this stuff.

  On the other hand, there is absolutely NO, repeat NO, support for Charlton
Heston's claim that violent crime rates exploded immediately after the
current laws were introduced. It seems that was too much even for our gun
enthusiasts to claim.

  BTW: I have never owned a firearm, although I have owned air-guns (pistols
and rifles) and may do so again. I have friends who are gun owners, and have
been duck-, pig-, and deer-shooters. I don't have a problem with that.
  While I was growing up in East Africa, my father had a large collection of
guns (mostly rifles), some of which I have used. A proportion of our diet
including warthog and hippo, gazelle and guinea fowl, was hunted with those
guns. Dad got his leopard in our chicken run with a 12-bore shotgun. Our
family was also very grateful for that.
  But I also know people who own guns, who have given no obvious reason for
police to refuse a licence - but who make me very, very nervous. I am glad
that at least one automatic shotgun I am aware of has been removed from
Australian society.

Regards,
        Ron

Ron Clarke