I'm going to sorta rehash Ron's contribution and add a little of what
I've studied ...

Depending upon the gene pool, there can be a lot of variation within a
species, or a sub-species [race].  But, as Ron & Darwin said, change
happens.

Sometimes the change is not affected in any way by the outside
environment, but rather by a strange combination of the parent genes.
Thus we can get something like an albino or a sport.  If the changed
entity survives to fertility, the progeny will be species normal.

Mutations take place constantly, as do poor genetic combinations.  In
most cases -- say in the range of 99.9% -- the mutation is either of no
use, or detrimental.  Mutations, unlike sports and congenital anomalies,
do breed true if they survive.  Mutations are in the DNA itself, not in
how the DNA combines into a new individual.

Most congenital and mutational gametes do not survive.  Seeds will be
unable to germinate, eggs won't hatch, embryos will be flushed from the
system [doctors now believe that spontaneous terminations at 4 to 6
weeks gestation are the norm rather than the exception for humans, so
normal that they go unnoticed ... marked up to stress, or a "late
period."]

Those mutations which don't prove fatal prior to germination or birth
can still prove to be dead ends; failure to thrive, failure to reach
sexual maturity, infertility, inability to match chromosomes into viable
progency ... add to that shunning, in all animate phyllums being
"different" is something which generally precludes you from breeding
within your species.  Plants are dependent upon meeting the criteria of
the pollinators far more than of other plants <G> which may explain why
there are millions of varieties within thousands of species of advanced
[pollinating] plants, and so little [comparitively speaking] variation
in animals.  I'd go so far as to say the "high up the ladder" animals
are, the less likely is the chance that a "different" member of the
species is to breed and pass on the mutation.

Some mutations are miniscule.  In my family I was the first of the
original generation to show a mutation -- antrophy of muscles and
tendons for the distal joint on the "ring finger" of both hands.
Although it freaked my parents out, in the days when things like polio
and diptheria were still every-day facts of life, the doctors simply
told them they didn't know what was ... but it wasn't a disease.  So
they were past that when my brother developed the same thing, as did
our children ... which made it pretty easy to verify that my son
originally lost in adoption was my son when we met. <G>  Obviously this
mutated trait is not a "recessive."

But many mutations are recessive, so it is possible for even the best of
wonderful mutations to be bred out of existance.

All of which proves that  1) the more we know, the more we realize we
don't know  AND  2) life is just a roll of the dice in more ways than
most of us would be willing to admit.

What I find most special about life is the surprises.  Who would think
[I certainly wouldn't have a couple of decades ago] that people from
around the world who are all interested in a single DOS internet
interface would also have much more knowledge they are willing and able
to share, and that debate of differing views could take place without
any flame wars!

Perhaps that is a sign that Natural Selection still works ... where
communication and sharing replace contention and agressiveness.  Or so
let up hope.

l.d.
-- Arachne V1.70;rev.3, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/