On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 20:52:50 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Feb 2003 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> <snipped>
>> .....btw....(war and rumors of war....sounded King James)

>> Elliot

> Yes, Elliot,

> I knew it was from the biblical expression, but wasn't sure which
> translation.

<snip>

It comes from Matthew, Chapter 24, verse 6.  It doesn't come from
the King James Version.  It comes either from some American
translation or from some translation made by some other group of
folks who don't speak the king's English.  You can tell by the
spelling.  The King James Version is of course written in the king's
English.  In the king's English the American word "rumor" is spelled
as "rumour".  In the US, the King James Version is still one of the
several translations most popular among Protestants today.  It is
more especially popular among those Protestant denominations which are
considered to be fundamentalist.  There are many fundamentalist
ministers who very strongly denounce all of the later and more "modern"
translations.

Sam Heywood
--
This mail was written by user of The Arachne Browser:
http://browser.arachne.cz/