It is much more likely that the software in use is rendering CR-LF as printable
characters, since they are Ctrl-D and Ctrl-A ...

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:38:39 -0500
Subject: Re: An Alternative Email Service for DOS, Arachne, Lynx

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:01:09 -0500 (EST), Thomas Mueller wrote:

> from [EMAIL PROTECTED], quoting without '>'

> Wizard57MdaGlenn Gilbreath
> Jr.dahttp://members.surfbest.net/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/index.htmda--DOS
> Interent, Close Windows, Keep the Internet Open!--dadaHi List!daJust wanted
> to share with Sam Heywood and others that mightdabe interested, I have found
> a couple of alternative emaildaservices, FREE ONES!!, that work well with
> Arachne, Lynx 386daor even NetMail DOS (for POP3...can't get NetMail DOS to
> senddamy SMTP authorization)daThe two I'm currently useing most
> are:daSoftHome.net and XMS.MS!daI really like the XMS service...they also
> have a "forum" typedabulletin board chat thingamajig...hehe, for lack of
> betterdadescription!  Anyway, these fine services don't have opendarelays,
> and you do need some way to authenticate your SMTP,dafor sending from
> Insight, POPMail PC, etc.  Please, if youdaappreciate good service, for
> free, and especially those thatdacontinue to support alternatives to MS
> Win9X only, check onedaor both of these services out.daHave a good one,
> anddaC U L8R!daWiz  <{;-)
> (end of quote)

> What happened?  This was near the end of my last email download, so I didn't
> see any of the responses yet.  How did all those "da" get there?  Remove those
> "da", and the message becomes readable.

It seems to me that the "da's" are inserted intentionally.  Some of the
"da's" are used as substitutes for the indefinite article "the".  If the
message were read aloud, and with all of the "da's" being prounounced, the
reading would sound like the way English is often typically and naturally
spoken by some folks belonging to certain ethnic groups whose native
language is not English.  English being incorrectly spoken in this manner
is usually quite intelligible and understandable to most people whose
native language is English.  It is impolite and inconsiderate to attempt
to correct people for speaking English in this way.  This habit of
speaking should not be criticized or disrespectfully mimicked or made fun
of because it is perfectly normal and natural for some people belonging
to some ethic groups to speak English this way.  English should never be
*written* this way except in three special cases:

1.  The writer is trying to quote some spoken remarks *verbatim*.

2.  The writer is depicting a character who speaks this way in a novel
    or a short story or a poem or a play.

3.  The writer is appropriating unto himself a literary license for
    some understandable reason for his wanting to express himself in
    a manner typical of people who speak English this way.

None of the above seems to apply in the message posted by Wizard57.  I
don't know why he wrote his message that way.

Sam Heywood
--
This mail was written by user of The Arachne Browser:
http://browser.arachne.cz/